If you are an India, a tech-savvy person and travelling abroad with your phone. This blog post is just for you!
You might be worried a lot about the expenses on international roaming. I am sharing some real zero cost tips that will cut down your expenses on international roaming to almost 99%. All you need is a smart phone, wifi enabled zone and of-course a working cellular connection.
If you are here and reading this blog, I am supposing you are owning a smart-phone. I prefer Android over BlackBerry and iPhone, because of wide range of apps available. Just a wifi enabled phone will work as well!
Not having a smart phone, and still need to call your loved ones? Don’t worry I still have cost effective tip at same price for you :)
The operator I am using on roaming is Idea (Prepaid) running on AT&T network. The call rates on international roaming are ₹150/min for outgoing to India, ₹100/min for any incoming call, ₹50/min to anywhere in US, ₹25/text message to anywhere in the world. And yes, incoming text messages are free!
I suppose you are aware of the apps like Viber & WhatsApp for free calls and texts, but the drawback of those apps is that the other fella you are calling needs to have the same.
1. Call on international roaming on as low as Re.1 /min
Vonage Mobile app – The benefit of this app is that you can call any basic phone using this at the least possible rates from you phone itself! It verifies your cell phone number by sending you a code via text message.
- Call to India at 2¢/min (around ₹1/min) from your phone
Just add credit (minimum USD10) to your account with your Credit Card and you are done. The benefit of this app is that the other party gets a call from your mobile number though you are making a VOIP call!
The second option is:
Using Google Voice you can make free calls to anywhere in US&Canada (if you are in either of the country) and call to India at same rates as of Vonage app 2¢/min (around ₹1/min). You can add minimum credit of $10 (same as of Vonage). Mobile app is also available but requires a US mobile number for verification. The drawback of this app is when other person receives call the Google Voice number – +17607058888 is displayed.
PS. The most Skype costs allows you to call on 9¢/min without app!
2. How to send text messages for free? (only for Indian users)
Create a free account on way2sms.com and install app “Free SMS India” on your Android device. Sign in using the username / password created on way2sms.com and send SMS directly from your phone for free using wifi. Remember, you can receive text messages for free. For iPhone install Skebby.
If you are not having an Android / iPhone you can still send text messages via your browser by opening way2sms.com directly.
Also insist on using Viber, WhatsApp, BBM, iMessage and many other push messaging services for free.
The most important tip:
Keep your Data Network Off before you land. You will be highly charged!
- Prepaid phone (pre-activated International Roaming, but make sure your with operator before you leave)
- If you are having a postpaid mobile, you will need to make a security deposit with your operator prior you leave
- Use Android based phone
- Install the apps (Vonage, Viber, WhatsApp etc.) and verify your accounts before you take off. Because you might not be able to receive verification code while on roaming
- While you are on the airport you will laugh at the ads saying Travelling Abroad use Matrix, Airtel international bla!bla!bla! and remember this blog post :)
Have a pleasant journey! :)